Friday, July 9, 2010

Washed Away.

I promise you, I really was cleaning my house. Until I looked outside, that is, and saw the rain coming down hard. I had an idea then, and ran over to the computer, ditching my rag and spray on the coffee table. I'll get back to it Mum, I swear. I want to go to Orlando.
Every time it rains, there's always a part of me that wants to sprint outside and dance with the dog or myself. Playing and dancing in the rain is basically a requirement of childhood, like getting at least one pet or 2 trips to the hospital. (Trust me, I've far exceeded both of those.) When it rains now, though, the adult part of me says, "Why would you want to go out in the rain? You'll just get soaking wet, and you could even get sick. You're leaving for Orlando on Monday, you ninny, why would you possibly risk getting even sicker than you are now?"
Touche, self. Touche.
But there's always the little kid part of me screaming at the top of their lungs, "GET OUTSIDE!" So it just depends what happens. It's always fun and refreshing and makes me feel like a kid again, when I do go outside.
That's the cool thing with the rain though. It makes you feel like a different person. When you're running around outside, it's rather hard to focus on college looming in the fall, taxes, the economy, or something else dark and depressing. It makes you feel new. Plus, when it's finally time to go inside, you're completely washed free of whatever you had on you before - whether it was mud, paint, makeup - whatever. You're clean.
God's like that too.
"Cleanse me with hissop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7.
Like I said a few posts ago, we normally don't know what we're running around with: all the sin, hurt, anger, and other feelings that we carry with us. When we go to God with all of these and ask for His forgiveness, He does just what this verse says: He cleans us, and makes us whiter than snow. It's pretty incredible.
Sometimes, though, we don't believe it. I have too much to forgive, you say. It's impossible. There's no way.
"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'" Matthew 19:26.
It's not impossible. You just have to realize that it can be done.
So here's your No Restraints challenge for this post. Whatever is dragging you down today, on this rainy, dreary day (actually, my bad. It's stopped. Welcome to another humid Pennsylvania day.) give it over to God. Run out in the rain and let yourself be washed clean. It isn't hard. And it can be done. So go on. Take that step and do the challenge. It's worth it, and your inner child will love to run out in the rain and be let free.
Are you in?
-Kimber.

No comments:

Post a Comment