Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Bad Romance.





















I want your love and I want your revenge,
You and me could write a bad romance.
I want your love, and all your love is revenge
You and me could write a bad romance.

-"Bad Romance", Lady Gaga


Okay, surely if you've lived almost anywhere in the last few months, you've heard this song and probably have started humming it in your head. If not, I just made you hum it. I'm sorry. Stop. Really.
In her song, Lady Gaga sings about entering a "bad romance" with a guy that seems to be bad news. It doesn't matter that he has leather-studded kisses (which, honestly? If my boyfriend had those? Sorry love. I'm out for a while.), or has a disease - Gaga sure wants him. Maybe he's gorgeous? That would be an okay reason to date him, right?
If you answered right, it's time to reevaluate some things.
Of course it's not right! If some guy or girl came up to you with some of those symptoms (because I'm pretty sure leather-studded kisses aren't common), what would you do? Would you run with it and date, creating your own "bad romance?" Or would you hold your ground and tell the creep to back off? Personally, I'd tell them to back off. I'm not sure about you guys.
As humans though, we're all like this.
There's always something that we want. Sex. Drugs. Popularity. Alcohol. A boyfriend or girlfriend. Status. There's always that something that bothers us inside, because we can't have it and someone else does. She has the new laptop - I want that. Man, did you see that girl he's with? I'd tap that. (Of course, if it's Jesse's girl...kidding.) Did you see her clothes? I'm getting that shirt. Look at the muscles on that kid! He does 'roids, and I'm going to start them too. He can look like that, so why can't I?
There's always something.
We're never satisfied with what we have. God tells us that when we come to Him and ask Him into our hearts, that the Living Water allows us to never thirst again - what more could we ask for? (John4:10) And yet we still do, when we look around.
All of our wanting, pleading, and plain green-faced jealousy leads us to exactly what Gaga was talking about - a Bad Romance with sin.
If this was a person, we'd back away and tell them to leave! So why, when that "person" is masked as the hottest girl or guy in school, the new iTouch, or the Gucci purse, we want to run towards it and have it for ourselves?
The title of this blog is No Restraints. I'm not holding back. And so, for all those reading, I have a challenge for you. Don't be a Gaga. Don't entangle yourself in a Bad Romance with sin - that's exactly what Satan wants! So let's all make a stand. Don't restrain yourself to what Satan wants you in and settle for the romance with sin. Run towards God and away from it, and settle yourself in for a relationship with Jesus Christ. It's not going to be easy. It'll be tough. But in the long run, you'll like it all the more - especially when you don't have to heal from those leather-studded kisses.
Are you in?

-Kimber.

1 comment: