Monday, August 23, 2010

Snooki, meet Jesus.

I recently got this idea from the Dare2Share emails that I get, so as much as I wish I could take credit for this idea, I can't. I can elaborate on it though.
I can say honestly that I've never seen Jersey Shore, and I can also say that I know I'm not missing anything. To me, it seems like a bunch of immature people have been somehow thrust on television and told to "live their lives" so that America can watch them every night on MTV, or whatever. It's ridiculous. Somehow this shows already been on the air for a long time, and I've never even heard on it until a few months ago when everyone was crazy about it. I first became aware of it at school, when people started saying the quotes from the show and wearing t-shirts with sayings and the words "Jersey Shore" on them. I was confused. Then, for the spring musical, a girl did my hair in a really cute style. Somehow, though, I was called Snooki. I had no idea who she was until I looked her up and realized that I definitely did NOT want to look like her - even though the hair was pretty cool, and I actually really did resemble her. At least in the hair.
To me, the show seems ridiculous, and I can't believe that people would waste money putting it on the air. These people get enormous salaries, just for being idiots. Take for example The Situation's comment:
" I mean this situation is gonna be indescribable, you can't even describe the situation that you're about to get into the situation."
Incredible, thanks for your amazing intellectual ability.
However, according to Dare2Share (and myself, after I scanned the email), Jesus would probably be hanging out with the cast of Jersey Shore. While this sounds insane, think about it. Jesus hung out with those the "church-going" crowd deemed not worthy. Tax collectors and other notorious sinners often came to listen to Jesus teach. This made the Pharisees and teachers of religious law complain that he was associating with such sinful people-even eating with them!

So Jesus told them this story: "If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won't he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.' In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven't strayed away!
(Luke 15:1-7).
Jesus was a friend to everyone; the hurting, lost, and ill came to him by the dozens because they knew that they could go and be helped. But Jesus' main "focus" was on sinners, who had something deep down inside them that kept them from crying out for the hope that they do desperately wanted. They're "lost sheep" and Jesus is the shepherd, leading His children back to Him.
If we're really Christ's followers and want to live like Him, we need to reach out to people, even those like in Jersey Shore. They need Jesus, and whatever we can do to help them needs to be done. They're broken inside, and the only fix is the Gospel message. No, it's not more cowbell. It's Jesus.
So here's your NR challenge for this post. I challenge you to go out and love the Snooki's of the world. Embrace the challenge that The Situation brings. You'll find it may be hard, but it's rewarding in the end, no matter what.
Are you in?

-Kimber.

P.S. Sorry for the confusing layout of this post, Blogger switched posting things on me and I'm learning everything all over again!

1 comment:

  1. Ah blogger yes it switched things on me too recently and I got SO confused. Oh dearest snookie thank you for making Italian Americans look like idiots. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete