Monday, August 16, 2010

Poof!

You know, Timmy's just an average kid, but noone understands. I mean, his mom, dad, and Vicky are always giving him commands! Doom and gloom describes his room, but hey! it's broken pretty fast. That's because a magical pair of fish grant his every wish - because in reality they're his fairly oddparents!
Come on. You know that was cool.
The Fairly Oddparents is a show that was featured on Nick every day, a thousand times a day, until your parents would walk through the house singing the songs and saying the words to every line, no matter the episode. I haven't watched this show in a long time (I've mainly given up on Nick; Travel Channel and Man vs. Food is my choice nowadays) but I remember watching it almost every single time it came on. I remember sitting before school eating breakfast and watching SportsCenter with my brother and knowing it was time to rush when we flipped the channel and this show was starting to come on at 7.
The awesome thing about this show was how Timmy had the ability to wish for ANYTHING - obtuse? rubber goose? green moose? guava juice? giant snake? birthday cake? large fry? chocolate shake? (wow, I only had to look up the first one...this show sticks with you.) - any of those he wanted, he got, then and there. That was the draw, the pull, that this show had with kids - the ability to change anything and get anything you wanted, then, there, no questions asked.
After watching this, life seemed pretty bleak. I mean, I wasn't going to go to my room and ask MY fairy godparents to give me stuff. It wouldn't happen, because it's not real.
People are like this everywhere, nowadays. You want something? You get it. Then. Boom. You see it, and next thing you know, it's in your hands. We live in a microwave society - we don't have to wait.
Another thing that I see from this show is how Timmy was able to get what he wanted all the time, whether it was good or bad for him. Remember the Christmas episode, where he wished everyday was Christmas? Or when he wished his parents didn't care? Or...well, really any other episode? Every wish almost always had a problem.
That's the way that life is. We want things NOW! and don't really care about the results. It's funny, because everyone always preaches "patience." And yet, we live the opposite of that!
Another thing about Timmy's wishes was the fact that there was a set of rules that he had to follow in order to get the most out of everything. When he didn't follow them, boy did things get messy fast! Life is like this too. We have a set of rules - the Bible - that we need to follow in order for everything to go smoothly. But when we don't read them, everything goes wrong!
I know this is a sporadic post, and I'm kind of upset with how I wrote it - I had so many things to say about this and it didn't quite work how I wanted it to! - but I'm hoping there's some point made.
So here's your NR challenge for this (crazy) post. First, make sense of what I said! :) Second, try living with patience for what God has in store for you! Jeremiah 29 says that He knows the plans He has for us, so why should we interfere with them? And third, remember the "rules" and follow them! This will ensure a safer, smoother, and more fun ride through this life!
Are you in?
-Kimber.

No comments:

Post a Comment